Supporting international learning mobility across the African continent
The Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme is the EU's programme to encourage international learning mobility across the African continent. The programme provides support for consortia of African Higher Education Institutions and scholarship opportunities for African trainees, students and staff.
The Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme is part of the Youth Mobility for Africa flagship initiative which aims to support learning opportunities and exchanges and ultimately to promote Africa as an attractive study destination. Youth Mobility for Africa is one of the flagship initiatives related to Education and Training under the EU-Africa Global Gateway Investment Package.
EACEA manages the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme on behalf of the Directorate-General for International Partnerships.
The first call for proposals is under preparation and will be published on the Funding & Tender Opportunities Portal (F&TP) in the coming weeks.
You can find open and upcoming funding opportunities for the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme in the EU External Action (RELEX) section on the European Commission’s Funding & Tender Opportunities Portal (F&TP).
The Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme aims to contribute to the economic, social and human development of Africa by improving the skills and competences of individuals in different areas, in particular those linked to climate change and the green transition. The programme's main priorities are:
- Promotion of inclusive learning mobility opportunities, with a focus on the participation of women and on climate change;
- Increasing the employability and entrepreneurship of higher education students and trainees, specifically in green jobs;
- Improving the quality, relevance, internationalisation and climate change focus of higher education in Africa.
Specific issues tackled by the programme include:
- Improving mechanisms for the international transparency and recognition of studies/degrees and qualifications in the participating Higher Education Institutions;
- Strengthening Higher Education Institutions’ capacity to manage international partnerships, mobility flows and career services;
- Enhancing the knowledge, competences and skills of beneficiaries of mobility scholarships, including women, persons with disabilities, and those from disadvantaged backgrounds;
- Enhancing cooperation between Higher Education Institutions and businesses;
- Improving knowledge transfer, the quality of higher education, and information exchange on study opportunities in the African Higher Education and Research Space;
- Strengthening knowledge, competences and skills in the field of climate change adaptation and mitigation.
Regulation (EU) 2021/947 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 June 2021 – the legal basis underpinning the Intra-Africa Academic Mobility Scheme.